Monday, January 10, 2011

How to Open a jumpring.

I didn't learn this til late in the game. It was so nice to know when I did finally learn it. And if you're interested in trying your hand at chainmaille jewelry, this is a simple must-know!

How to open (and close) a jump ring.

You need two pliers. I use my chain nose and my flat nose pliers. You can also use bent nose pliers rather than chain nose as I explain here. Whatever works best for you!

Grasp your lil' jump ring with both pliers on either side of the cut and twist open like so:


It's important that you don't pull the jump ring from the seam as it will misshape the ring. Twist one of the pliers up and one of the pliers down. This will be your open ring:


Be sure to close it the same way. Your nice round jump ring will remain nice and round and it will be simple to make it flush and appear seamless.

So simple, right? Life as you know it just got a tiny bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment