Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tools?!?

When I think jewelry, I think delicate, pretty, elegant... girly.

When I think tools, well, I don't think any of those things. I think something more like, "Don't know much about them, don't care either."

So when I started researching how to make jewelry, the sight of tools scared me. And there were so many! As I said in the previous post, my sisters got me a starter kit, and I've found since then that the 3 mini tools they got me were perfect to get me started on beaded jewelry.



1. Wire cutters
2. Round nose pliers
3. Chain nose pliers

But here are my recommendations...
- Use wire cutters from your husband's tool box. These little wire cutters were basically useless after just a couple snips.
- Only purchase a cheap starter kit like this if you just want to make a pair of earrings every once in awhile or you want to try out this jewelry making thing before committing to more expensive tools.

Here are my upgraded tools. LOVE them.

Chain nose pliers

Round nose pliers

Wire cutters



I also love these flush cutters...

They make nice, clean cuts. Definitely worth the investment but not completely necessary for simple beaded jewelry.

These are the basic 3 tools for making beaded jewelry. We'll use all of them for my first tutorial.

I'm currently venturing into wire jewelry which brings in countless more tools. Maybe some day I'll have it figured out... maybe. Until then, we'll keep playing with beaded jewelry!

Hope this is helpful! You'll find my upgraded tools at my fave wire site: Wire-Sculpture.com (except the wire cutters that I think my husband bought at Walmart or some place cheap). The starter kit you can easily find at any craft store.


Linking to this party - handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment