Friday, October 22, 2010

My Recent Craft Show Experience

This past Sunday I took part in a craft show at our local mall. It was my second craft show and my second not-so-great experience. It was a long day of very few sales. Jewelry is a tough market to be in!

But it was another learning opportunity. One thing I learned is that I need a LOT more pieces to draw more attention. This was a last minute show so I didn't have as many pieces as I would have liked, but I realized I needed even more than I would have thought!

I've read articles about how to get the most out of craft shows. I followed all the rules I could remember -
  • I attempted eye contact with and a smile to every person that walked by my table.
  • I left the books and whatnot to entertain myself at home. I was completely available at all times.
  • My jewelry set up was unique and organized.
  • I greeted everyone that came to my table and attempted conversation.
At one point I had to feed my baby boy, so the husband took over for a bit. He's much better at the sales part of things. He added to my list -

  • Hand out a business card to every person that stops even for a second.
  • Tell everyone that I also sell online and have a website.
  • Find a way to compliment a potential customer (From a distance I noticed a girl blush and twirl her hair after Derek told her dangly earrings go great with long curly hair).
All of these are excellent tips, and I will continue to implement them if I ever attempt a regular craft show again. One more thing I'd like to add when I'm more prepared is have jewelry projects to work on. I think people are drawn to watching people craft their crafts! I know I am. It's different than just sitting there with a book or on your phone.

But I kept wondering as I sat there watching person after person walk by my table... are some people more drawn to a table when the crafter is not paying attention to them? I thought about this because I tend to rather approach a table and browse the merchandise without feeling the pressure of purchasing something from the vendor. I made sure not to put on any pressure, but could simply chatting with them make them feel like they have to purchase something? Could that be why some people smiled back at me and picked up their pace?

Have you ever been to a craft show? What draws you to a table? What is most likely to cause you to pass on by? Don't be shy! Help me out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment